Supplementary Child Benefit in Flanders

Increased Groeipakket

In addition to the amounts of Groeipakket to which every child is entitled, you may, as a family, also be entitled to increased Groeipakket. Toddlers in Flanders, for example, may be entitled to the Toddler Allowance, while low-income families may be entitled to a Social Allowance. View all the types of increased Groeipakket here.
What is the increased Groeipakket ?

What is the increased Groeipakket ?

Every child is entitled to a basic amount. Depending on the situation, additional benefits or allowances can still be added

  • Benefits based on your child, such as health care allowance, orphan's allowance, toddler allowance, etc.
  • Additional benefits for your family such as the social allowance.
  • You will automatically receive to what you are entitled.
  • KidsLife always pays out the highest possible amount.

Receive Groeipakket from KidsLife

At KidsLife, we ensure that you always receive the maximum amount to which you are entitled with the Increased Groeipakket . Not yet receiving your Groeipakket from KidsLife? Then hurry up and request it!

Apply for Groeipakket

Calculate the increased Child Benefit and Growth Package

KidsLife calculates exactly the amount to which you are entitled and adjusts this immediately if the child's situation changes. You do not need to apply for an increased child benefit. 
Would you like to calculate yourself how much Child Benefit or Growth Package you would receive in a certain situation? Carry out a simulation of the amounts.

Simulate your amount here

Social Allowance on top of the Groeipakket

Social supplement is an additional allowance on top of the basic amount. The conditions for this social allowance depend on the region where you live.  

In Flanders, the social allowance is part of the Growth Package. The entitlement to the social allowance depends on your family situation and your family income and is calculated automatically by KidsLife. You can find out about the social allowance in the Growth Package here.

Care allowances

Care allowances

Orphan’s allowance

Children who lose one or both parents receive additional support. They are entitled to an orphan’s allowance (previously known as the care allowance for orphans), providing they are entitled to Groeipakket.

Foster care allowance

Children who are placed with a foster family in Flanders may be entitled to a monthly allowance on top of the basic Groeipakket amount. This allowance amounts to 68,23 euros.

Care allowance for children with specific support needs

Some families could use a bit of extra help. For example, if a child is sick for a long period or needs extra support because of a mental or physical disability. A Care Allowance exists to make such care a little easier financially.

Participation allowances in Flanders

Participation allowances in Flanders

Childcare Allowance

Those using Dutch-language childcare in Flanders or Brussels can count on a Childcare Allowance of €3,50 per child per day of childcare.

Preschool Allowance

3-year-old toddlers, who are enrolled in Dutch-language education, and 4-year-old children, who remain enrolled and attend school frequently enough, receive an additional €143,53 preschool allowance per year.

School Allowance

The school allowance provides support to lower-income families with school-age children in Dutch-language education. The School Allowance replaces the study allowance for children up to and including secondary education.

Being a single parent doesn’t automatically entitle you to a social allowance

Your family income must not exceed a certain threshold to be eligible to receive this. The fact that you are a single or divorced parent likely has an influence on your family income. This may make you eligible. 

The threshold amounts and the composition of this Social Allowance depend on where you and your children live: Flanders, Brussels or Wallonia

KidsLife automatically pays your Social Allowance if you are entitled to it! We do this following receipt of your tax return. We always receive this 2 years after the income year. 

We (re)evaluate your Social Allowance for 2019 in 2021. We receive confirmation of your 2019 income from the federal government in 2021.  

Eligible for this allowance and prefer not to wait 2 years? Contact your KidsLife adviser to submit an application. 

View all of the conditions pertaining to the Social Allowance here

KidsLife assists low-income families by paying them a supplementary allowance: the Social Allowance
The Social Allowance is entirely dependent on your personal situation: your place of residence, your income and your family circumstances.

View all of the conditions that apply to your Social Allowance here


If your family income changes, this can affect your entitlement to the social allowance and the selective participation allowance (school allowance). Your entitlement is automatically investigated based on your income from 2 years ago (via your tax return). Suddenly earning significantly more and receiving a social allowance from KidsLife?
 Then please notify us so that we can terminate your social allowance and consequently prevent a potential clawback payment.

Now earning significantly less and not currently receiving a social allowance from KidsLife? Then contact us so that we can send you the relevant form. Please complete this form specifying your income and return it to us, together with the necessary supporting documents.


Your family may be entitled to supplementary child benefit in addition to the standard Growth Package and Child Benefit amounts (to which every child is entitled). You can view all types of supplementary child benefit here.

In many cases you needn’t submit a request for supplementary child benefit and we automatically ensure that you receive the correct entitlement. However, you may have to submit a request to KidsLife in certain situations.  Believe that you qualify for an allowance, but aren’t currently receiving it? Then please contact your KidsLife adviser, who’ll gladly assist.

Your local authority automatically notifies us of any changes to your family circumstances via the Crossroads Bank.

Does this change to your family circumstances have an impact on your Child Benefit or Growth Package payments? Your KidsLife adviser will make the necessary adjustments to ensure that you receive the correct payments. 

Want to calculate your entitlement?

Then use our handy simulation tool

Do not miss out on any benefits for your family

At KidsLife, we ensure that you receive that to which you are entitled!

Are you still not receiving Groeipakket from KidsLife? Then join us today. 

Join KidsLife
Moving to Belgium: what administrative steps?

Moving to Belgium: what administrative steps?

You could probably do with a quick guide to help you get to organise what has to be done for your arrival in Belgium. We have drawn up a list of all the administrative formalities. And as a bonus, some tips to help you settle into life in Belgium. Follow us!
to more info
Bilateral Agreements

Bilateral Agreements

Do your children live in a foreign country? There may be a bilateral agreement on the payment of Child Benefit between that country and Belgium. KidsLife explains!
vers plus d'infos
My Child Benefits have increased?

My Child Benefits have increased?

Your Child Benefits can be increased due to an indexation or certain supplement. KidsLife will explain everything.
Have your Child Benefits been increased?