My child needs extra care

Does your child have a long-term illness or does he or she need professional care because of a condition, impairment or disability? Then you might be entitled to one of several benefit schemes.
All the additional benefits for you and your child

All the additional benefits for you and your child

Care budget for people with a disability

The care budget for people with a disability or the basic support budget is paid by your healthcare fund. It is a non-taxable, fixed amount of 300 euros a month. You don't have to fill in a request form because the care budget is paid automatically if you meet the conditions. Check here whether you meet the conditions.

Care budget for dependants who need special care

The care budget (formerly ‘health insurance’) for people with severe or complex disabilities is paid by your health insurance fund. It is a non-taxable monthly payment of 130 euros and is intended for people who need extra support to care for a dependant. Please note: you can only receive the care budget for dependants who need special care if you send a completed request form to your healthcare fund and if you pay your annual healthcare premium. Check here whether you meet the conditions.

Increased compensation in healthcare

Thanks to the increased compensation measures, medical consultations, medicines, hospitalisations, etc. are cheaper. You receive the increased compensation through your health insurance fund. You are automatically entitled to it if your child has a recognised disability of more than 66% or has at least four points on the first pillar of the social-medical scale. Read all the details here.

Social tariff for gas and electricity

Families with children who have a recognised disability with at least 4 points on the first pillar of the social-medical scale can benefit from a favourable tariff for electricity and gas at home. If you are entitled to this cheaper rate, you also no longer have to pay the rental fee for your electricity or gas meter. This entitlement is granted automatically by the energy providers because they are automatically informed by the FPS Economy if you meet the required conditions.

Reduction of property tax

Tenants or home owners who have a child with a medical condition that is recognised for at least 6 points in total or for 4 points in the first pillar of the social-medical scale, are entitled to a reduction in property tax.

The reduction is applied directly to your tax assessment notice. This is automatic for home owners. Tenants need to apply for the property tax reduction once. Please read the conditions and the application procedure here.

Rent reduction for social housing

When you rent a home through the social housing scheme, your rent is calculated by your social housing corporation.

You are entitled to an additional reduction of 38 euros on the rent if you have a dependent child with a medical condition.

If you would like to know more about how the rent is calculated for your home, please visit the website of wonenvlaanderen.

Tax-free allowance in personal income tax

If you have a dependent child with a disability, you are entitled to a higher threshold in your tax-free allowance.

This means that a larger portion of your income is exempted from income tax and your tax liability is reduced.

The FPS Finance views a dependent child as a child for whom you are still entitled to child benefits. Your child's medical condition must be recognised for at least 4 points in the first pillar of the social-medical scale.

On your tax return, you need to state that you have a dependent child in box II, B. Make sure you have all supporting documents ready in case of an inspection.

You can find all details and conditions on the website of the FPS Finance.

Parking card

Pillar 2 of the social-medical scale examines the impact that your child's medical condition has on your day-to-day life. Included in this assessment are movements and mobility. If your child has a medical condition with a score of at least two points on pillar 2 of the social-medical scale, you may be entitled to a disabled person's parking card. This parking card entitles you to park in the specially reserved disabled parking spots. In some cities and municipalities, the card even lets you park for free.

You can apply for your parking card through the Service for Disabled Persons of the FPS Social Security. If you would like to apply for a parking card or learn more, visit the FPS Social Security website.

Tax breaks for your own vehicle

If you buy a car and use it as a personal means of transport, you may be entitled to a reduced VAT rate on the purchase of the car, as well as on servicing and repairs. You may also be exempt from the vehicle registration tax.

The conditions depend on the severity of your medical condition and are available here.

You generally don't have to send in a request form. If you qualify based on recognition as a disabled person by the FPS Social Security, they will automatically send you the VAT vehicle certificate. They will also send the certificate electronically to the Federal Public Service Finance and the Road Tax Authorities.

Free companion pass

With the free companion pass, your carer can travel with you on the train at no cost.

You can apply for your card at the ticket counter at any station. Don't forget to have your electronic identity card with you. The cost of creating the companion pass is 5 euros.

You will find all information on the SNCB website.

European Disability Card (EDC)

The European Disability Card (EDC) is a Europe-wide pass and ensures equal access to benefits across borders for people with disabilities, mainly in the areas of culture, leisure, sport and transport.  The card is valid in Belgium and seven other participating European countries: Cyprus, Estonia, Finland, Italy, Malta, Slovenia and Romania.

You can apply for the card if your child is eligible for a care allowance for children with specific support needs based on the points on the social-medical scale.

If your child is entitled to a care allowance, your request will always be approved. You can apply for the EDC digitally through the digital service desk of 30 days after receiving this decision.

What is the Care Allowance?

Monthly allowance for children with specific support needs

Some families could use a bit of extra help. For example if a child is chronically ill or is sick for a long period, or needs extra care because of a mental or physical disability. The Care Allowance is there to make this burden a little easier financially.

How do you apply for the Care Allowance?

All applications for the Care Allowance should be through your Child Benefit Fund. You can submit the allowance request form online via My KidsLife.
Do you still have questions or do you want to submit your allowance application in another way? Please contact your KidsLife adviser.

How much Care Allowance do you receive?

This depends on the region you live in and on the medical decision. You can find an overview of the amounts here.

Read everything about the Care Allowance here

Moving to Belgium: what administrative steps?

Moving to Belgium: what administrative steps?

You could probably do with a quick guide to help you get to organise what has to be done for your arrival in Belgium. We have drawn up a list of all the administrative formalities. And as a bonus, some tips to help you settle into life in Belgium. Follow us!
to more info
Bilateral Agreements

Bilateral Agreements

Do your children live in a foreign country? There may be a bilateral agreement on the payment of Child Benefit between that country and Belgium. KidsLife explains!
vers plus d'infos
My Child Benefits have increased?

My Child Benefits have increased?

Your Child Benefits can be increased due to an indexation or certain supplement. KidsLife will explain everything.
Have your Child Benefits been increased?